Friday, February 27, 2009

Pavement Sucks – Rocks Rock…

Ok – by now you have read Rachel’s somewhat biased report of our loop ride via La Purisima. Rachel tends to think that pavement is good and rocks are bad. I however spend most of my time thinking about how I might die on pavement – it is such an unpredictable surface, dirt on the other hand is always predictable and safe! After spending the first 8 miles contemplating the various ways I might crash and burn the pavement eventually gave way to a pleasant windy dirt road. After about 40 miles of this we came to Comondu – an oasis in the middle of the dessert.

After a short break we left for an 18 mile leg to La Purisma – this part of the trail was my favorite. We spent an hour negotiating large boulders and loose shale. Rachel may have experienced a few bumps on the way…but don’t let her description of this trail make you think that we didn’t have a good time.

In La Purisma we purchased gas from a local entrepreneur and after a short break we left for the final 40 mile leg of the trip. This was a fun, fast graded road. After arriving at Mexico 1 I loaded my bike into the truck and avoided having to drive on the dangerous pavement….

No comments:

Post a Comment